EndNote is a bibliographic management tool that allows users to create and organize a library of citations and abstracts and then insert them into a Microsoft Word document.
The Lamar Soutter Library is pleased to provide the University of Massachusetts Medical School with an institutional site license for EndNote software for both Windows and Mac users.
The latest version of the software (as of February 2017) is EndNote X8.
The license covers UMMS students, faculty and staff, and staff of our clinical partner, UMass Memorial Health Care. The software can be installed on UMMS or UMMHC computers and up to two personal computers per user.
Windows Installation Instructions (Mac instructions are below)
CHROME is preferred, but install will work with INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX
2. Log in with your network User Name and password. You may need to precede your username with the school or clinical domain if you are off campus. For example - umassmed\JonesJ or umassmemorial\JonesJ
3. CHROME: Right click the file in your download bar and choose Show in Folder.
IE or FIREFOX: Save the ENX8Inst.zip to your Desktop (or to Downloads).
Note: ENX8Inst.zip is a large file (~84MB) and may take a few minutes to download.
Note: If you're asked for a product key or 30-day trial, the install process didn't recognize you as a UMMS or UMMHC user OR the unzip step did not work. Try the installation process again!
10. Click NEXT, then “I accept the license agreement,” and NEXT and select the TYPICAL installation type.
11. Choose the destination folder (default is C:\Program Files) and click NEXT.
12. Click NEXT again to install the application. This will take a few minutes.
13. When done, click FINISH.
14. The EndNote icon will appear in All Programs from the Start button. Click once to expand the EndNote folder, then right click on the icon and “Pin to Taskbar” for easy access.
15. There will also now be an EndNote tools tab in Microsoft Word.
Mac Installation Instructions
1. Click Download EndNote for MAC
2. Log in with your network User Name and password
The Endnotex8siteinstaller.zip file is downloaded. Note: This is a large file (~84MB) and may take a few minutes to download.
3. Go to Downloads. Open zip file and run the EndNoteX8SiteInstaller.dmg file.
4. In the box that appears, double click the EndNote X8 gears symbols
5. A dialogue box will open asking if you want to open the application. Click Open.
6. Click on the Install.
7. In the software set-up window, click NEXT, NEXT and DONE
Note to MAC Users: EndNote will not export references from our databases correctly with Safari or Chrome. You should use Mozilla Firefox as your browser.
If you would prefer to use EndNote X7 (not suggested for Mac users) the download links are available here:
The latest three versions of EndNote are supported by Clarivate Analytics.
Victoria Rossetti (Education and Clinical Services Librarian) - Installation Support, Instructional Support/Basic Troubleshooting
508-856-2463 or Send E-Mail
Penny Glassman (Head of Technology Initiatives) - Installation and Software Support/Basic Troubleshooting
508-856-2200 or Send Email
9AM-8PM EST Mon-Fri
(at the prompt, press 4; then select 1 - "ResearchSoft Products" option)
This 60-minute class will demonstrate how to set up a new library, how to import citations from MEDLINE, how to work with the citation style manager and how to add bibliographic references to a Microsoft Word document.