Research and Scholarly Communication Services Librarians
Sally Gore, MS, MS LIS
Lisa Palmer, MLIS, AHIP
Research Support Services: We're Here to Help
- Institutional Repository – eScholarship@UMMS is a popular digital repository that highlights the scholarly output of the University. The Library has a full-time institutional repository librarian responsible for promoting and maintaining this resource. The IR proves a valuable tool to introduce researchers to many of the topics that follow, as well as other services the research librarians provide including searching and the use of bibliographic management software. We’re also working to coordinate the complementary aspects of the IR with “Profiles”, the Office of Research’s new tool for building research collaborations.
- NIH Public Access Mandate – The Library is THE point of reference for all questions related to the Mandate. We provide everything – classes on understanding copyright and author rights, using the NIHMS system, PubMed’s My NCBI, Open/Public Access and more.
- Data Literacy – We are the co-recipients of an IMLS grant, along with Worcester Polytechnic Institute, to develop an online curriculum for data literacy that both undergraduate and graduate students can benefit from. We also currently provide assistance as a department (Research & Scholarly Communication Services) on an as-requested basis to discuss data management planning. Finally, our IR is beginning to experiment with housing small data sets, mostly those associated with the dissertations of our PhD students in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- BioTools Member – BioTools is an campus-wide online community (list) for sharing updates, ideas, troubleshooting, new resources, etc. related to bioinformatics. Sally is a member and contributor to the list.
- Brown Bag Lunches – The Department hosts monthly informational sessions in the research buildings, giving researchers and students an opportunity to learn more about the different resources available to them and to ask questions about the Library and our services.